Armory Data Mining?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2007 at 8:56 PM
I have the basic code for storing rosters, chars, and stats in place. Right now I'm wiring up the data layer and the business logic.

It occured to me that it could potentially be used for some Armory data mining on the current structure - perhaps using some SQL Server Analysis Services to speed up the number crunching...but it would be doable.

I'm thinking this might be worth investigating for v2 as another add-on DLL. It really wouldn't be much additional work. Just a much larger while loop. ;)
Aug 7, 2007 at 9:19 PM
We basically have the entire WOW player database at our fingertips. However, it may be a good idea to limit the number of results within the module itself, so that people don't pick this up and do exactly what you're thinking. As a starting point, it may be a good idea to limit it to guild name, region and realm.

I could see this as a nice plugin for a winforms project.
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2007 at 8:24 PM
That works.

So you're thinking of potentially placing a "governer screw" of sorts in the app?
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2007 at 6:10 AM
It's funny - Since Kralizek added a bunch of new stats to pick up, I am grabbing soooooo much data it's disgusting.

I have a 350 toon guild - and the data for the one guild took up 5mb of SQL Server disk space (and 10 mins to process on my development laptop). Just imagine what a population-wide database would look like...nothing someone would do shared-hosting.

But the possibilities are endless.
Sep 25, 2007 at 3:55 AM
I like the idea of having those stats populate the database, as it would be handy to have a reporting module run reports on that information for performance/historical reasons.

How are you handling the eventual purge of that information? Putting a cap on the data and dumping old data after, say, 24 months (but shouldn't that number be an option in the control panel to set?)