Thoughts on UI - Char List?

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM
Any thoughts on the current layout? Any ideas on improvements or a presentation method you would prefer seeing?
Sep 25, 2007 at 4:52 AM
Excellent work. Steps in the right direction. I just got the module up and running on the site on our test DNN site. I'll link it in prod in the next few days and post it here, but so far it's working very well.

My only suggestion is when clicking on guild members name, it brings up the character stats screen. This section could use some work as it very spartan. Something more along the lines of what the armory is doing look-and-feel wise would be the direction I would go.

Alternatively, if not, than separate the information out, formatting said information in a similiar fashion as the other information presented on the right-side of the blue boxes. Keeping a uniform look and feel.

PvP stats, gear, talents, etc from this module (or links to the specific armory site as an alternative). Food for thought.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM
I agree- it's quite sparse at the moment. :) I've been primarily focusing on getting information surfaced in the interface, because there's a lot of it in the back-end - and, since it's all CSS, it's easy to change it up - it just needs to be done.

Also, the data that's being shown as of 0.9.5 is a lot more than what the Armory shows. I am thinking of scaling it back to show exactly what the Armory shows, and probably use a "hand-crafted" file that shows the stat names, as opposed to something generated on-the-fly and using database values. The only other option, if I were to pull it out on the fly would be to further normalize the database structure and create a "friendly name" column...which would have issues being localized.

And the other stuff is grabbable - pvp, gear, and talents - but I will leave that until I get the current module done. I may pull in pvp information before v1.0, but I will probably leave gear until v1.2 (a couple months away) and talents well beyond that (beyond the link to the Armory talent tree).

But all of that being said, the info on the left is moving into a Armory-style look and feel...and more and more of the information from the right (which had been the only way of presenting it prior to 0.9.4) will be moving into that structure. I will try to use some background graphics in the next release - which should make it look more appealing - but they will probably be 'paper' graphics from my website's skin.

If anyone has any ideas on graphics, please pass them along. I am going to try to break a bit away from copying the Blizzard files exactly - but the issue there is I'm not a very "creative" type. ;) So thoughts and assistance is always appreciated.
Coordinator
Sep 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM
All of that being said, I plan to sit down in Photoshop next week and really start sprucing things up for v0.9.7.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2007 at 6:24 PM
Almost all of the visual elements within the module are now CSS enabled.

For the character list:
  • Rows can be customized (e.g., every other row shows grey, on my guild site, I added a CSS entry to make it tannish/brown)
  • Mains/alts mark up can be customized
  • As an aside, I have made new icons for the professions since I posted the code on Sunday, and I'm using them on my guild site. I will get the new icons into the next release

For the character entr:
  • All aspects of the character sheet are CSS-enabled. Even the ugly blue background can be altered to be a graphic background
  • I wil finish moving the content from the right list into the character sheet on the left - and CSS enable it

What I would really LOVE would be some help on the CSS - if anyone can come up with nice ways of presenting the visuals, I'll bundle it back into the DNN PA. As I've said, I'm not graphics artist, but I'm very supportive of anyone that wants to help make this pretty and successful.
Coordinator
Nov 18, 2007 at 11:54 PM
I've cleaned up all of the class icons and I've been creating 'section header' icons to use. These will show up in the v1.0.1 general release.

I've tossed up the icons into file downloads for that release, for general comment.
Dec 12, 2007 at 8:58 PM
I'd like to see a guild list ranked by character level, as well as a graphical guild statistics view that's similar to what the Armory displays.
Jan 14, 2008 at 4:13 PM
I would like to see support for up to 10 ranks. I think 6 is a little low, and the armory supports 10 as well.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2008 at 4:17 PM
I was unaware WoW supported up to 10 ranks.

Okay - I will get this in.
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2008 at 4:18 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 7, 2008 at 3:02 AM
As an update - I changed some of the UI elements around on the list, and posted the new code up on my guild's website:http://www.resguild.com/GuildInformation/GuildRoster/tabid/167/Default.aspx

Please let me know your thoughts - notice it's quite speedy now! YAY!
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2008 at 2:59 AM
Okay - this is checked in and packaged for v1.3.0. As I mentioned, I moved columns around and changed up some of the data fields.

Feedback welcome. :)