How to install?

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:39 PM
The install link is broken can someone tell me how to install/implement this on your site
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:58 PM
Sorry about that - looks like I forgot to mark up the link with the "url:" tag. It should work now. Also, there's a link to the instructions on the 'Home' page.

Hope the module works out for you!
Dec 1, 2007 at 10:02 PM
ow is this thing just a plugin for something ?

I dont have a clue how to install it. Thought i just had to add some kind of code into a page.

Is there maybe a more detailed instruction ?
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2007 at 2:41 AM
The business logic DLLs could be used for almost anything, but the only fully-coded presentation layer for the application is to DotNetNuke (DNN) http://www.dotnetnuke.com. And, to help people with using it, I packaged it together as DNN public assembly (PA). DNN itself is an ASP.NET portal application, where applications/modules (such as this) can be presented similar to web parts.

That being said, the code is all standard ASP.NET v2 code, it just uses DNN's object model for things like service management, logging, and security. It could be easily ported over to being a standard ASP.NET UX (user experience). And the DNN items are only the one DLL - everything else is completely reusable, for what it's worth. :)
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM
I think what pave was asking is how do you install your stuff using DNN?

I was able to get it to partially load but I am not sure of the placement of the different file types on DNN. I think One problem I am having is I am using the latest release (4.8.0) to try and use this. The sql loaded fine but it really did nothing when I finally got the .dnn file to load. The only way I could see it was to put the unzipped folder in to the <%webroot%>DesktopModules folder. I went to host and tried to install it but I could not use anything. Finally got the roster to show up but it would never connect.

Bad choice to try it on 4.8.0 ?
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Ok pave I have figured out my mistake. I was thinking too much in the raw asp.net developer sense and had extracted all the files from the zip. That was the wrong thinking here. You upload the whole zip file in hosts mode. It does the rest. You dont unpackage it (My lack of experience with DNN) you just add the module as a zip and it parses it all out for you and installs the sql statements too.
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM
Sorry - completely dense on that account and assuming that you were looking more than 'add module' - you're right...I did make an assumption on DNN familiarity (which isn't fair).

I can/will look for a decent 'how to install modules in DNN' and link it to the installation instructions. Did you find a link that was pretty good in your quest for information?
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM
BTW - I haven't even looked at 4.8.0 yet, but everything should be smooth like butter.

How does it work for you on 4.8?
Jan 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Hello CSimpkins,

No problem about the DNN. Once I got everything correctly installed then it works very smooth. Updates from the armory are slow but I kind of figured that. Once I tore in to DNN, it was easier than I thought. Being a developer (.NET, Smart Client, and now WCF and WPF) I tend to look at things in a very object sense. My first attempt I manually unzipped everything and was looking at the 4.8 install to see where the files went. It partially worked the way I did it but had undesireable effects. I think pave was looking at it the same way. Once I figured out the DNN framework parsed it for me, all was well.

So far everything seems to be working great on the 4.8 release. Now I just have to find a good skin and build the overall layout.

Thanks for the excellent module. I really like the way it updates. One feature I would find useful as a guild leader is the ability to be notified if a members leaves the guild. That really irks me and sometimes it is difficult to figure out. Just a thought.

Thanks again,
DVD
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM
That's good to hear.

On the skin side, Martin posted a nice skin on the DNN Module Development CodePlex project (http://www.codeplex.com/WoWDNNModules).

For the notification when people leave, it's an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that one some more.
Jan 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM
I received an error when trying to install the module PA zip file.

This may be a DNN version issue because it installed fine and is working great on my local machine.

I have version 04.08.00 on my local machine - and everything worked great.

I have version 04.04.00 on my web server, and I get the follow error when installing the module:

Failure The element 'folder' has invalid child element 'dependencies'. List of possible elements expected: 'compatibleversions, supportsprobingprivatepath, resourcefile, modules'.
Failure ExceptionSystem.Exception: Dnn load failed, aborting at DotNetNuke.Modules.Admin.ResourceInstaller.PaDnnAdapter_V2.ReadDnn() at DotNetNuke.Modules.Admin.ResourceInstaller.PaInstaller.Install()

Any ideas? Did they change the DNN nodes for the newer version?

Thanks in Advance!
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2008 at 4:28 AM
I believe the 'dependencies' option may be new to v4.5. But v4.5 introduces the partial rendering capabilties I use for the HoverPanels, also. So I think it's safe to say that this is only really recommended for v4.5 -> .

I'm not totally certain, though. :)