Any thoughts on .NET v3.5?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2008 at 12:20 AM
I'm thinking of migrating some of the code up to .NET v3.5. This is mostly to make use of LINQ to parse WoW Armory XML content (I was playing with LINQ today, and the performance/lesser-amount-of-code it requires is just plain sick).

My question to those using my code - would this be an issue for you? My hosting provider (Server Intellect) provides .NET v3.5 hosting, but I'm sure there are at least a couple out there that do not. Thoughts?

(BTW - this would be a 2-3 week out kind of thing - probably would go this route rather than fixing the PvP arena stuff the old way)
Apr 2, 2008 at 1:51 AM
There should not be a problem, you can just the updated DLLs in the bin directory for the new framework?

I could be wrong though.

Aaron
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:10 AM
I did some digging into this (Michael Washington has some excellent materials on his website, btw - uber props to him).

For DNN, this would require a web.config change in the 4.x line - marking the used DLLs as v3.5. My general impression is folks won't want to change the web.config file (and no real comments here ;-D ), so I stopped there. It's definitely do-able, but it would make installation a bit more involved and there's always the chance that changing the dependencies would break something else.