All Ranks / Not displaying correctly

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM
When displaying the roster by All ranks, the characters are not getting placed into the correct groups. All but 2 characters are saying they are Guild Rank 6, but they are really in Rank 7,8,9 (And they even display in their correct "groupings").

http://www.rattlesoft.com/stormwindguard/About/tabid/149/Default.aspx

Also, is there a way to show all characters on 1 page, instead of using paging?

Also, I dont know if it should be renaming the title for each group to match the guild rank set, but it isn't doing it.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2008 at 1:33 AM
Thanks for the note. I'll take a look at the groupings and see what's up with that. I haven't tested that in a couple releases, so there's a chance that there's a regression bug in there.

For the paging, in the 'settings' for the DNN module, you can set the number of character entries per page (I believe the default is either 10 or 20 - I think 20)...just set that up to something like 500 (which had been the max char limit in WoW guilds) and you shouldn't see paging any more.

Lastly, the titles unfortunately only use the rank number because I was lazy. :) I basically store the 'query' in the title...This has also caused some hardship because the database uses 'Deathknight' instead of 'Death Knight' - which looks quirky. I've thought about changing it, but it would require time for a feature that didn't look like enough people cared about.

On my site, here's how I 'work around' the rank number thing - I set up a module per rank (set the settings to display only 1 rank), and it will then not display the title in the module. I then set the title of the DNN module to the rank I want to show. It requires a bit more work, but it does what I want. I also make sure to toggle 'show main chars only' so that it doesn't display alts for the higher up ranks.

Hope this helps - and I'll take a look at the grouping thing.
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2008 at 1:36 AM
One other thing - I tried visiting your site, but I couldn't see the guild roster module on the page you linked. Do you have the visibility set to not show it to anonymous/guest viewers?

BTW - nice looking site.
Dec 24, 2008 at 1:45 AM
Thanks,

I changed the characters per page and that fixed it. I'll have to dig in the code and see if I can change the rank titles.

I had removed it for a while because of the annoyances, but now that the paging is fixed it looks better.

Also, thanks. I keep fixing and adding stuff to the skin to make it better xD
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM
As I look at the site - what about if I provided a view that showed everyone in one list (using the view that showed title + name), sorted by guild rank?

I could also do something similar to the level sorting that would allow you to say show ranks 0-3, or 1-2, or...you get the idea...

Would that help?
Dec 24, 2008 at 3:16 AM
Yeah, I started working on a seperate view that displayed like the Armory list, but still not ready.
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 4:12 AM
Hey - give a gander at 1.6.1. I put a bunch of changes in there that should fit what you're looking for.
Dec 25, 2008 at 6:30 AM
That is way better, but if you look at the page again, it still says "Sergeant Major" even though they are under "Private". (Next to their name)
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:21 AM
The titles along the top come from the 'first' roster associated with the module. I'm unsure of why the title in the character entry line wouldn't match (and why the hover says 'unknown' - very odd, indeed.

If you added/deleted/re-added the guild roster, there may be some oddities in the way things match up (I ran into one of these when I was mocking things up in my dev environment this morning). Any chance you could send me the contents of the various tables? Of particular interest would be the guild roster table, the roster-module-xref table, and the character entry table. My guess/hope is that there's some phantom rows hanging out somewhere.
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:34 AM
I just loaded up the GuildRanks view in SQL Server Management Studio. Interesting results. It looks like Guild rank 6 through 10 is set to Sergeant Major, however in the Roster table, the fields are correct.
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM
Edited Dec 25, 2008 at 8:43 AM
So the problem? Is the View for VW_DNW_WoWGuildRoster_GuildRanks is incorrect:

SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 0 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank0 AS guild_rank_name
FROM         dbo.DNW_WoWGuildRoster_Rosters
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 1 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank1 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 2 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank2 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 3 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank3 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 4 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank4 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 5 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank5 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 6 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank6 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 7 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank6 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 8 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank6 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 9 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank6 AS guild_rank_name
UNION
SELECT     roster_id, guild_name, guild_server, 10 AS guild_rank_value, guild_rank6 AS guild_rank_name

Ranks 6 through 10 say: guild_rank6

Changing those fixed the problem :)
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:49 AM
But I still see the problem on the tooltip saying Unknown.
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM
Heh - That does indeed seem to be some problem SQL code you found! Problem 1 seems to have been copy/paste, and Problem 2 seems to be the fact that the three guilds I used as 'testing' all seem to use ranks 0 - 5.

Your issue may be caching at this point. I store all of my data in an in-memory dataset to prevent the app from hitting the database each webpage/paging-request call. To force a refresh of cache, change a guild value (go to control panel, and make a change to a rank name, save it, and change it back) or something. That will flush the cache and reload it.

Thanks for the catch; I'll get that updated!
Dec 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM
Edited Dec 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM
Another bug! Geesh ;)

See GuildEntry.cs

public String Game_Guild_RankName {

get {

if (this.Roster_ID >= 0 && this.Guild.Roster_ID >= 0) {

switch (this.Game_Guild_Rank) {

case 0:

return this.Guild.GuildRank0;

case 1:

return this.Guild.GuildRank1;

case 2:

return this.Guild.GuildRank2;

case 3:

return this.Guild.GuildRank3;

case 4:

return this.Guild.GuildRank4;

case 5:

return this.Guild.GuildRank5;

case 6:

return this.Guild.GuildRank6;

default:

return "Unknown";

}

}

else 

return "N/A";

}

}

The ranks stops at 6! Hehe

Not a very big bug and expected since most people using this module will show classes over rank.

Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM
DOH!

Okay, well...I feel shame now *blushy panda face*. Can you tell that ranks 7-10 were added much further on?

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM
No worries, bugs or "Why the hell didn't I add this?!" moments always popup in software projects. At least you have testers who report bugs, right? :)
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Okay - I updated 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 -- This should solve the issues. :-) Let me know how this one works for you.

And I do really appreciate the feedback and the bug reports. I also appreciate that you're good humored about my oversights.
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM
That seems to work! Thanks!

Also, I work on software projects all the time, and I beat myself up when I forget the littlest things!
Coordinator
Dec 25, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Edited Dec 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM
Perfect! Any other tweaks that you might want in this view or in the character view pane in the next build?

(I will probably issue a 1.6.3 release tomorrow, that incorporates the Arena information into the character pane - as well as cleans up a new bug I found...I only update stats, I don't delete and re-add them - so if someone respec's their professions, the old entry still shows up in the 'by profession' view).
Dec 26, 2008 at 6:29 AM
Edited Dec 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM
It would be nice to replace the "WoW Guild Roster" module title with the character's name when viewing a specific character.

Also, a Listview of the characters, like the Armory.

Oh and displaying Rage/Mana/Runic Power next to Health.
Dec 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Should probably not that the rank "Unknown" still appears when viewing a character's details.
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Cool; thanks on all acounts. I'll see what I can get implemented tomorrow.
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2009 at 5:29 AM
Sorry - had a visitor pop in for a few days, and so my work was delayed a week.

What I have accomplished so far on the character entry page (will be posted tomorrow morning):
- Module title now shows CharName (Level nn CharClass)
- I fixed the unknown class rank
- I fixed the second bar to show mana (second bar doesn't really mean anything for rage/power)
- PvP arena information is now displayed for 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 teams
- I've added a RESX file and the new PvP section uses it, so that portion is localizable. I will start making more of the pages localizable as I go along

For the 'like the Armory', what exactly are you looking for (columns, layout, ordering etc)?
Jan 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Edited Jan 2, 2009 at 3:39 PM
Columns: Name, Level, Race, Class, Rank (Using the formatted name stored in database instead of "Rank 5")

Maybe using some neat ajax for row hovering and sorting.
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Okay - I've posted version 1.6.3. Let me know what you think.

For the Armory version, I created a new setting entry 'Show Armory Columns Only', which will show the name, level, class, race, and rank columns in any of the views.

I like the idea od some neat AJAX capabilities for hovering and sorting, but that's beyond my skills at the moment. :D Any interest in tagging a pass at it?