This project is read-only.

DNN 5.0?

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Any chance on getting this workingwith DNN 5?  I have it installed.  The only thing that does not work is clicking on a guild member name.  I get:

A critical error has occurred.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

DNN 4 seemed to work, but I decided to go with 5 for the new site.
Feb 7, 2009 at 1:37 AM
I haven't tried it on DNN5.

I won't have time to take a look at it this weekend, but will get a look at it next week. Can you send me a PM with the site URL, or else some additional information (screenshot of the error)?

Sorry for the delay - I was at a conference through the week.
Thanks!
Cliff
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM
I sent you the PM with my site info.
Looks to me to be a DNN 5 issue, as there seems to be at least one other person with the same problem.  No big deal for me, as what is working is great as it is.
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Okay! I think I've fixed this.

It seems the DNN team changed the way things were being handled in the module loads.

I don't know if you care, but I was embedding an asp.net control (ASCX) within an asp.net control. And, because of this, the inner-most control didn't know what it's DNN module ID was. In the 4.x version, when I constructed a URL using DNN's .EditURL() call, it would simply set a module ID of -1, and I would do a string replace to change the mid/-1 to the proper Module ID. In DNN 5 (and it looks like for DNN 4 friendly URLs), they no longer constructed the -1 module ID.

I changed the call to construct the URL using the Globals.NavigateURL call (which is a bit more painful to use, but it's more precise in URL construction), and this seems to have solved the problem on my dev machine. I should have the fix up later today.
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Thanks for the work on this. 
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Okay - I've uploaded version 1.6.4 - let me know if this fixes your issue.
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM
BTW - let me know how the install goes. if it works for you, then I'll update the entry on Snowcovered to use the new version. :)
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:33 AM
I couldn't get it to install tonight.  I will try again tomorrow.  Is there anything special to upgrade?  Do I have to un-install the old module and then upload the new module?  When I installed the module, it just went back to the browse screen where you browse for the module.  I will have more time tomorrow to try it out.

Thanks.
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM
Nope - it should do an in-place upgrade just fine.

Did it give you an error (any red text) when you tried installing it?
Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM
No, no error.  It might be my dnn install.  I am going to try and install another module.  It just goes back to the same screen with the path where the module is blank.  Basically at the start of the module install.
Feb 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM
I  installed another module with no problem at all.  This module though does not want to install.  I am going to do some research on it.
Feb 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Ok, I got it installed and it is working great.

There seems to be a bug in DNN5.  Installing this module it says that there are restricted upload extensions and you can choose to ignore them.  This is what I did the first time with 1.6.3 and it worked.  This time, clicking on that box did not seem to work. It just cleared the browse box. I had to allow file extensions of dll,dnn,ascx,asmx,js

I don't know if you need the dnn in there, but it worked for me that way.  This is in host settings, advanced settings, other settings, allowable file extensions.

Install went off without a hitch after that.

Everything works just as it did in DNN4.

Thanks for the fix, I appreciate it.
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:36 AM
Glad it worked!

Any idea which of the file types are not on by default? I guess I need to play with DNN some more (the 5.0 install is on my laptop that is currently at work), but it would be helpful to others to call out what file extensions to add. I'm imagining it's the asmx file as the others should be fairly standard PA items - but I guess further investigation is in my future. :)

Again - glad it worked; I hope the module continues to work out well for you!
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM
I can figure it out fairly easily tonight.  I will post after I figure it out. I just wanted to get it to work :)

As long as I did not invoke the Ingore File Extension Restrictions check box, it seems to work.
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM
From the best I can tell, it is the asmx file that you need to add to allowable extensions.
Mar 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM
Awesome; thanks for looking into that.

I will kick things around a bit with v2 and see if I can get around the asmx thing. And I'll update the installation page.

Again - thanks!
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Updating some threads on the forum here - I spoke with a couple folks from the DNN team and they said 'no issue with this - folks can just allow those file types or accept the warning'.

Grrrr...
Jul 8, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I have it up and running on DNN5 as well. Most things work very very well. I do notice that it seems to be having trouble parsing profession levels (although it is grabbing the professions themselves) , at least what is being displayed on the character page itself.

I am unsure what is suppose to be being displayed in the second stats window (the first defaults to Base Stats). I assume it is like the character window in game, and can display the same information as the first window. That second dropdown is not being populated, and so no information is displayed there.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Yea, a bunch of stuff got broken on about April 15th when Bliz modified some things on the Armory. The developer fixed most of it within a couple of weeks, but the problems you noticed remain. We're coming up on 3 months of in-operability now, and since my particular site uses the module as it's centerpeice, I'll probably be taking it down in the next few days.

It was a good ride.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Hi folks,

In-operability defined as with the professions? Or has something larger broken?

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:48 AM

WB!  Nothing new, just the leftovers from the Apr 15th patch. Professions (if they changed since then) and their levels, are incorrectly displayed both on mouseover and on the char sheet. An example is this toon.  She was a lvl 1 alchemist before Apr 15th, but took up and capped mining since then. If you drill down to the armory page you'll see the discrepancy between reality and what the module is displaying. This non-updating behavior is consistant with all of the listings, at least on my site.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Okies - that makes sense.

My assumption was that the breakage was purely on the profession listings, and not in the character page. That should be easy enough to fix, as that is in the main character entry data/table, rather in the nebulous 'skills' information.

Question for you - how useful have you found skills and reps and the like (the bottom two boxes on that character sheet)? If I were to remove them, how heart-broken would you be? :)

And, also, if I were to change up that character sheet, what would it ideally look like to you? Something like wowarmory (similar to ingame and layout what I have now), warcrafter.net (still showing stats along top), or be.imba.hu (more text/section based - if I were to remove the char sheet along the left and concentrate more on unique data)? Or, what would your thoughts having the roster list simply redirect to the Armory instead of a character sheet?

Lastly, I currently have it send folks to the Armory - any thoughts/wants on linking to some of these other character building/stat sites?

(and, I am about...and the squeeky wheel definitely gets oil - bug me if something is outstanding - it keeps it at top of mind :D)

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM

When looking at the character profile that Argonne posted, I now see what is displayed in that right hand box I referred to earlier. I am unsure if I configured something wrong or if these are just not updated (his character's are using old data from before tha Armory change). Here is what I see on my toon .Personally I woould like to see a duplicate of the window that is on the left (the same way the armory does it) and allow the user to choose which of the various stats to display.

If you are looking for feedback, my users and I find the profession listing VERY useful. Guild members who are looking for specific help having an item crafted or whatever love the odea of having a central place to find who could do what. The reputations, while interesting, are nowhere near as important to us.

As to layout, I actually like the layout you have, but would love to see those couple of additions we have been talking about. Adding both specs (if applicable) and the gear associated with each spec would be a huge leg up. Perhaps, if we are building a wish list, having wowhead popup links for each item similar to what both the Armory and warcrafter have. It would be nice to either have both specs and gears visible on one screen, or a choice for the user as to which to display (a simple dropdown with Main spec, Off spec or something).

Another thing you might consider as long as we are building wish lists, is to use the DNN Skin styles for display. The bright blue background look decent enough, but doesn't always go with all styles the site may be using. I gues what I am saying is some personlization of the display might be nice.

Gear scores would be nice, but even something as simple as displaying and addiing up the iLevels would help a  alot. Perhaps take a look at the in game mod alotoholic, it displays the gear of each of your alts and shows the iLevels. Although a rating system that actually takes into account usefullness of items would obviously be better (the way be.imba.hu does it), I am not sure it would be worth creating the heuristics needed to be usefull. A link to those various sites would probably more than suffice. I would suggest be.imba.hu, warcfrafter.net, and wow-heroes.com. Perhaps even put in to configuration the option to add additional ones with a matching/replacement base link to replace with character specifics for the links to work?

Wow-heroes.com in particular has some interesting ways of presenting the information that is very useful when trying to decide who gets an invite to an upcoming raid or event. Who needs what to help the gear up. It even goes so far as to suggest where you should be working to gear up.

To directly address the question you posted about immediately directing users to the armory, I prefer keeping them onsite. The armory is useful, but there is a reason we don't go directly there and have the roster on our guildsite.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Thanks for the awesome feedback; it's greatly appreciated.

I will try and get something out over the weekend to at least get the specs rolling in. I'm not entirely sure why your not getting the reps and the profession information showing up (at all). This is definitely a bug, and I'll look into it. This should be fixable in the v1 code, and I'll tweak the character page while I'm in the code to show the dual specs and clean it up a bit visually.

Regarding look and feel for the site, I tried to make the listings quite customizable. You should be able to place CSS overrides into your DNN theme and it should flow well; as an example, I use CSS overrides on my own hosted guild roster. For additional information, check out the wiki page I have on the CSS topic. That being said, it would be great to have something that would work more 'out of the box' - are there DNN skin styles that you think would be a more natual fit?

For the character sheet, thanks for the pointer to wow-heroes.com, that is a pretty neat way of summarizing. I really like the suggestion mechanism, but I am not that great of a WoW geek to put that kind of useful information in. :) And the wowhead pop-up links are actually not too hard to implement. I had done some research on the Javascript required to implement it, and it's not that large of a fence to climb.

I'll poke around at mods for gear score algorithms again. I tried looking through them at one point, but I got lost in the code that implements it. I'll try again, but if you find an algorithm that looks like it could work, I'll give it a whirl.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Wow, I completely missed the CSS wiki. That should do what we need for sure.

I wonder if it might be possible to include some of the functionality into the settings of the module for those folks who do not feel comfortable editing the CSS directly.

I am fine with editing by hand, just another suggestion to add to the list (since you seem so willing to tackle them ;-).

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Hehe - I thought about putting it in there...but my eye for UI creation is not the best (as you can see by my character sheet page). I'm up for supporting some kind of themes in the module if folks want to create a few (ActiveForums does this), I'll put a selection mechanism in place to use them.

BTW - you can also override the character sheet to get rid of that hideous blue and replace it with a background image if you want.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM

...and I never did much more detail around the wiki page because no one used the feature!

Let me know where you run into issues/pain-points!

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I agree with zorachus' suggestions, and my users also find the profession listings the most indispensable feature of the module.  As for other things I would like to see, I'm still stuck on wanting a scrollable alphabetical list, and to have the related characters list show all of that members toons.  Here's what I wrote in an earlier post, and your reply:

"...but while we're on the subject of new modules, what about an adjunct module to DNW Guild Roster that you could place in the left or right content pane that would display an alphabetically sorted dropdown list of all toon names in the guild.  Would supply a fast way to call up a toon's property sheet without knowing their class, level, profession, or anything else.  Also still campaigning for the "Related Characters" list to show all related toons when viewing any of their sheets, not just the main.   And thanks again for writing this module!"
Reply:

"1: Alphabetical sort - gotcha; I'll add that into the next release, that's easy
2: Ah-ha! I see...I kept thinking you meant related characters in the pop-over pane. Sure - I can do that. I'll also get that into the next release...that one is pretty easy too."

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Awesome; thanks for the reminder - very timely! :)

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Just a quick note, editing the CSS works just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Great to hear - anything that you suggest I change in the module to make the CSS more 'discoverable'?

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM

Okay, I am not done with 1.7.2 this weekend.

I have found the issue with the professions...the issue is that I got a bit aggresive with my copy/paste when updating the SQL stored procedure for updating character info - it wasn't even updating the tables for three of the four profession columns. :o I added the SQL code that will fix the problem to the 1.7.1 download page; let me know if this works out for you.

I'm about half way through updating the character entry page. I did a screenshot of the direction I'm taking the page and I welcome your thoughts. I'm simplifying the page, and making use of the standard DNN colors/fonts. For the page, I'll check to see if the second stat bar is mana - if it is, I'll hide 'melee and range' and show 'spell damage' stats; if it's anything but mana, I'll hide 'spell damage' and show 'melee and range'. I also will try to create circle graphics for everything under the 'Character Stats'. I'm also going to move stuff around under the 'Talent Specialization' section (and rename it!) and do something with the 'Guild Status' section. The item information will eventually go into the character page, but that will likely be 1.8 or into the v2 release.

I will try to finish the page this week, and release that as either 1.7.2 or 1.8.1.

Sorry for not getting this out this weekend -- but I did make progress! :)

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I like the sample char entry page a lot better than the old one...lots of room for future enhancements.  I tried the new file that you posted and it didn't seem to do anything for me.  I needed to run it as a script to get a "success" message, but I for one can wait for the next rev for a fix.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Once you run it, the next WoW Armory update should then start putting the values in the right place.

The issue was in the writing to the table, not the reading of it. :)

And glad you like the look of the new page. Any thoughts/recommendations on changes to it (before it's 'done') are very much welcome! :)

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:50 AM

I forced an update after running it but nothing changed.  There have been a couple more updates since and still nothing, but like I said, I don't mind waiting till you roll it into the next rev. Our guild is frankly a bit quiet at the moment and no one has been complaining (well, they never do anyway) about it.  I've actually been playing EvE for the last month but am still hosting and maintaining the WoW site, which I'll keep doing as long as it's used. If you notice a lower enthusiasm level for innovation from me, that's the reason....I'm in maintenance mode.

I am surprised that nobody else has chimed in in the last few months, especially with the obvious problem.  Is there anybody out there besides Zorachus?

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM

The update didn't seem to fix the issue for me either (I needed to run as script as well). Two scheduled updates have gone through with no changes to the issue. I can wait until you roll it into the next revision too, so no biggy.

I like the look you have in the screenshot, it looks like a nice direction. Is there a way to make the PvP section an optional display? Folks see a "This character has no PvP information available." and they feel they should do something about it ;-). We are trying to concentrate on PvE this release, and I would hate to distract members ;-).

You might also want to add an achievements area to the character page, or at least display their current achievement point totals.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM

SQL File: Odd that the SQL file didn't fix the issue. I would be curious to watch it over a couple days and see if it doesn't start updating the data for your more active players (I noticed a couple players in your roster ar enow updated). The way the update process works is that it only updates character stats for players that have had updated Armory data -- so it may not be updating because the player hasn't logged in recently.

PvP Data: Very good call; I'll have it hide the panel/div if there isn't PvP data to show.

Achievement Data: I'll factor in overall points, but will wait until next release/build to pull more achievement data (along with items).

Activity/Usage: Yeah, I'm with you Argonne. :) If you notice, my updates happen when folks start chatting up here. I think I've gotten feedback from less than half a dozen folks...and I don't charge for the module...so there really isn't much of a measurement on how many folks are really using it or how folks feel about it. So it's generally in maintenance mode for me also unless I have someone who I'm really making changes for (hence the spurts and starts in development). The best I can see of usage is by doing a Bing/Google search on the tags I use at the bottom of the module, but there are a lot fewer folks using it in live sites than have downloaded the module! :D

And I generally am the same way with our guild site...beyond the forums (which is mostly used by officers - but all new members are required to post into to formally ACK the guild rules/charter), the guild site is used more for the roster, wiki, and list of 'official downloads' (which isn't as used as much anymore since GEM and CTRaid have lost their usefulness).

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I'll log in to my two remaining toons in the guild (Rokona, Rokonite) when I get home tonight and see if the armory update triggers anything. My guildies will probably faint when they see me log in.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

BTW - you can force an update on the characters by changing the table flag.

This should work:

update DNW_WoWGuildRoster_Chars
set [char_status] = 2

That should force a reload of each character on next run.

And, as an aside, in case you're curious, the [char_status] values are 0 (new or empty - typical of chars that have no detailed Armory data), 1 (Loaded successfully), 2 (Reload required), and 3 (Load in progress).

Hope this helps,
Cliff

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Thanks for that.

The forced reload seems to have done the trick.

I now see profs on all the toons in the guild :-).

Thanks

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:44 AM

Yay Z! Looks like both of your rosters are on their way!

I have started on the character page; the base stats are now being populated properly - hit a minor glitch in that I'm pulling too many stats in some places (e.g., all different takes on some stats) and not any in others (e.g., haste, which was introduced later). A little bit more coding than I thought I would have to do, but it's all goodness. Hopefully new version by end of this weekend.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:17 AM
Edited Jul 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM

As an update: I have values being pulled from the new page structure, it's showing both specs, and PvP/Arena section now completely hides if the character isn't doing PvP.

I've also sat down with Photoshop and I've created most of the icons for use on the page. If you guys are interested in providing feedback on the icons (most of them are modified forms of the WoW ability/spell icons), feel free to do so tonight or tomorrow and I'll make the changes before posting the code tomorrow. I'm particularly proud of a few of them, but a few others I still want to find better icons for...I also may end up reusing the STA icon for holy damage.

Still outstanding: Showing the alt list for alt characters (as opposed to just showing them on the main), verifying that the updated WoW Armory pull works (I had to add data structures to pull haste, resilence, and penetration). I'll also look at getting the pure alphabetical listing in there tomorrow.

[edit 7-19-2009 -- removed link to icon zip file; I removed the zip from SkyDrive]

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Looking good. I did notice a little "hanger on" on the STR icon, but that is an easy fix. I like the look, and it stays consistent with the WoW look too (no need to reinvent the wheel).

I assume the screenshot is not of the new structure you are describing. I didn't see the second spec, etc.

What are you thinking about the equipment sets and stuff. Have them displayed on the character page? A toggle of some sort as to which set to display?

Well, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Cool - I didn't notice the STR icon defect - I'll fix that up when I generate the remaining icons this evening.

I added the icons into the code and generated a new character page (which shows the icons and the dual specs on it).

Off to spend time with the wife today, but I'll be back in a few hours to try and wrap this up. Comments/feedback welcome!

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM
Edited Jul 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Okay, I didn't get it finished...I'm basically out of time today. :(

I did get all of the icons done and added the additional spell stats onto the page, and wired them up. I took and posted an updated screenshot of the page as it stands...numbers that read '123' are placeholders, and I need to do a full armory pull to make sure I'm getting everything properly. I have a couple values that don't look right, and I want to play with the innards code a bit more before posting anything up for external consumption.

Also, I may add in code to programmatically hide sections. For example, if 'mana' isn't in the second bar, don't show spell casting section -- and then hide the combat section for priests, mages, warlocks, and druids that aren't feral...I'll have to think about other class combos to show/hide numbers for.

For the equipment sets, I'm thinking of skipping that for this particular release, but my thought was to have them shown in an additional 'section' on the page (likely under the 'alt characters' section as it stands now) as a list of items showing the names and color-coding with the iLevels (similar to the alt list)...and then with the WowHead popover when you hover over the item name...and I may or may not show gems (leaning towards not for the initial posting). I may show it in a dual list, one for each spec...but unsure how that would look just now. If I get to play with Javascript enough, a toggle to show the items with a radio button would be nice, but it's beyond me at the moment. :)

For those particularly interested in the changes - I checked in the source code, which could be compiled/deployed and it would work swimmingly.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I modified the character entry page to show either the melee/range/defense spec numbers OR the spellcasting spec numbers, and I placed the 'algorithm' that I'm using to decide which one to show as a task item. Please place comments/feedback there if you think I should show the numbers differently.

I will also have the code show only one spellpower stat, depending on spec. I've also created a task item detailing the mapping I'm planning for that. Please add comments/feedback to the task item as you feel appropriate.

Also, I will be adding a green check next to the 'current' spec on the dual spec listings; and I'll also add in the high-level achievement points (I can add these in without creating a new table - which is the strike against items in this release) to the page. I also wanted to ask folks, should I add a button that says 'force reload' to toggle the status via the UI (only shown if an 'officer' or character owner), forcing the Armory service to reload the data on the next pull?

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I'm not hot for the force reload feature.  My users don't actually log on to the site, in fact I doubt that they know that they have accounts.  I created user accounts purely so that the related character feature would function.

I expect that we are pretty unique in the no login regard though.  My site is a supplememtary one, our forums being hosted on another site where login is mandatory.

Jul 26, 2009 at 1:06 AM

See and I was going to say that was one feature I would LOVE to see ;-).

I would even like to go so far as to have some sort of admin feature to force a complete reload on next synch (like the SQL snippet you provided earlier, just built in).

The display ideas you had mentioned above all made sense to me,  I look forward to seeing them in action.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:11 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2009 at 5:11 AM

OKAY - I finally got the release posted.

It's up as Release 1.8.2 - I don't have it set as the primary release for the project until I get some confirmation that it really is stable. It looks perfect locally, and it looks pretty good on my guild site (the check looks wonky when the second spec is active).

Let me know what you folks think!

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I grabbed it right away and it is now live on our guild site.

It looks great, and seems to be doing what it is suppose to be doing.

I will watch to see that the synch functions properly and all that.

Nice work :-)

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I think I may have found a small bug.

I decided to try out the new Alphabetical (level range) listing.

The default of level range 1 to 80 came back with no members displayed. When I went to range 70 to 80 I had everyone 70 or above show up (alphabetically too).

Playing around I found I didn't get any listing for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10 to 80. As soon as I hit 11....BINGO.

My guess is the cuplrit would be that I had no level 10s (or less) on the roster, but I DID have a level 11.

I will keep an eye for anything else I see.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.

SOME character's tooltip when you hover over their name on the various listing pages show "(spec info unavailable)" instead of the spec details like MOST characters do (Frost(0/8/63). I am unable to find a pattern as to why most show the information, while others (always the same others) do not. When you go to the details page for the character it accurately displays both specs. The same tooltip even seems to be pulling the correct icon for the spec information (e.g. icon used for Frost mage).

Not a big deal, but worth looking into.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Thanks on both fronts. I will work on getting a 1.8.3 out tomorrow evening to address encountered issues.

For the tooltip issue, it typically says '(spec info unavailable)' if it hadn't been able to pull info from the Armory. But if it's showing up in the character entry page successfully...that sounds like a bug. Can you point me to some example characters on your site's roster?

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Sorry - no sooner did I his post than I saw you had a link to your roster.

I also am seeing a few folks with the same behavior on my roster...so I should be able to reproduce this without a problem. I'll get it fixed tomorrow night! Please pass on any other oddities you notice!

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:27 AM

The module actually tossed it's cookies on my site when I installed it.  Visitors get the error message "Module Load Warning: One or more of the modules on this page did not load. This may be temporary. Please refresh the page (click F5 in most browsers). If the problem persists, please let the site admin know."

Logged in as host I see: "Error: Gore Roster - Level Sort is currently unavailable.
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The base class includes the field 'upCharList', but its type (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'upCharList', but its type (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel). ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The base class includes the field 'upCharList', but its type (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel). at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildFieldDeclaration(ControlBuilder builder) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder builder, Boolean fInTemplate, Boolean topLevelControlInTemplate, PropertyEntry pse) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTreeFromBuilder(ControlBuilder builder, Boolean fInTemplate, Boolean topLevelControlInTemplate, PropertyEntry pse) at System.Web.Compilation.TemplateControlCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildMiscClassMembers() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCodeDomTreeGenerator.BuildSourceDataTree() at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCodeDomTreeGenerator.GetCodeDomTree(CodeDomProvider codeDomProvider, StringResourceBuilder stringResourceBuilder, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.GenerateCode(AssemblyBuilder assemblyBuilder) at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.AddBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseReader(StreamReader reader, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse(ICollection referencedAssemblies, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(String virtualPath) at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.InjectModule(Control objPane, ModuleInfo objModule, PortalSettings PortalSettings) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I'll just wait till the next update unless you see some clue that I've done something wrong on this end.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Ick - I thought I pulled out all of those update panels...

I'm assuming it has something to do with the interaction between the ASP.NET AJAX stuff, DNN, and your server.

Try this:

1. Open up the WGR_CharList.aspx file
  2. Remove lines 319 and 320 (the <asp:UpdatePanel ID="upCharList" runat="server" > and the <ContentTemplate> lines)
  3. Remove lines 328 and 329 (the closing tags for the ContentTemplate and UpdatePanel

See if that works. I removed those lines from my code in dev, and it still works fine. The update panels were supposed to use the magic of ASP.NET's AJAX framework for doing refreshes, but it never quite worked out (they still do the post back logic on the server, which simply gave me the illusion of much more unresponsive code). I thought I removed all of them, but it looks like you found one. My guess as to why you only got this error now is that I changed the behavior of the code to hide the new div panel that contained this control (so that I could show alt characters on other alt characters...and just hide the section (header and all) if there was no related char information), rather than the control itself.

And, as they say in CPR classes, it can't get worse than dead. :)

(BTW - it has also been removed from the aspx in source -- sorry about missing that one!)

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM

I did what you suggested and got a new set of error codes.  Seems you got useful info out of my last mammoth post, so I'll do it once more :)

If you want to use my site as a guinea pig, I can give you access, just e-mail me.

Error: Gore Roster - Level Sort is currently unavailable.
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: (0): error CS1705: Assembly 'DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.UI.DNN, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: (0): error CS1705: Assembly 'DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.UI.DNN, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' ---> System.Web.HttpCompileException: (0): error CS1705: Assembly 'DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.UI.DNN, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.GetReferencedType(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean allowNoCompile) at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.GetUserControlType(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.MainTagNameToTypeMapper.ProcessUserControlRegistration(UserControlRegisterEntry ucRegisterEntry) at System.Web.UI.BaseTemplateParser.ProcessDirective(String directiveName, IDictionary directive) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.ProcessDirective(String directiveName, IDictionary directive) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseReader(StreamReader reader, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse(ICollection referencedAssemblies, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(String virtualPath) at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.InjectModule(Control objPane, ModuleInfo objModule, PortalSettings PortalSettings) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

<!-- End_Module_367 -->

Settings

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Thanks! That helped - I found the error. I did my dev for 1.8.x against DNN 5, which no longer includes the System.Web.Extensions.DLL file.

When I loaded up the project to develop against DNN, Visual Studio auto-resolved the DLL to the new version (3.5 - distributed with the .NET Framework 3.5 as of SP1) and the project compiled looking for that DLL. This means that the code I posted will work fine for DNN5, but not for DNN4.

For now, I grabbed the old version of the DLL and manually repointed it against that one. I recompiled the code locally and everything seems to work okay. I'll get a new version posted this evening, which should work out okay for you.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Okay - I uploaded 1.8.3 for consumption.

- I fixed a couple CSS issues that were driving me batty personally
- I fixed the spec display when hovering over the character (I was adding tree1 + tree2 + tree2) together, not 1 + 2 + 3 :D
- The install is compiled using the old System.Web.Extensions.DLL
- I wasn't able to reproduce the alpha sort issue...worked for me goign 1-80, and lowest in my guild is 10 right now

I hope this fixes outstanding issues!

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:14 AM

That worked, module is back up and running!

Looks pretty good.  I'll dig in to it over the next couple of days and after a couple of armory updates.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Awesome; I'm glad that it's working again!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Unfortunately, I still have the original problem.  That is, my professions are still not updating.  This could be explained by the fact that I can't identify when the last time was I had a successful armory update. The history features a long line of success=false results.

I tried deleting the schedule item and re-creating it, but it made no change.  I wonder if the armory has locked me out or something.  I had the update frequency set to 2 hours, but I've had it set to that forever without a problem until the armory changes on May 15th.  Any ideas?

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:44 AM

A few thoughts on steps to take:

1. Go into the GuildRoster control panel
  2. Go to the Roster section and open up your roster - click the button to reload the roster
  3. Go to the Loads section and click the link to clear the entries
  4. Go to the Errors section and click the link to clear the errors
  5. Go to the DNN 'Host' -> 'Schedule' section and open up the Armory Service scheduled service, and set it to every 12 hours for now, and retry on failure every 2 hours
  6. Uncheck the service so that it disables the service (and stops any random threads that are running)
  7. Optionally, restart the DNN portal from 'Host Settings' (if you REEEEALLY want a portal reboot)
  8. Go back into the DNN Schedule service and reenable the service

Let it go a day and check the roster/error logs in the guild roster control panel. The way the Armory used to run about a year ago was if you threw too many requests at it, it would blacklist you for about 12 hours and toss either a 503 or 501 error - this was when I tossed in the 5 sec delay, and have a check that increases the delay when a 501 or 503 is received, and stops trying the Armory after 10 errors. There's a chance you may be running into this, but I don't know. The above really clears the board and gives it a shot. After about a day, I'm curious what your roster loads and errors (from the guild roster control panel) look like.

Do you mind giving that a shot?

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Doing it now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Ok, did all that in the order you suggested with the exception of the portal reboot.  Afterwards I went back in control panel and checked the error log and found this.  Don't know if it's relivant: Assuming this error is benign, I'll wait a day and see if anything improves..  Thanks again!

16341 7/31/2009 2:59:14 PM
Type: System.InvalidOperationException
Error Info: DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Data.SqlDataProvider.UpdateDataLoad
Message: Handle is not initialized. - at System.WeakReference.set_Target(Object value) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.PostPop(Object newOwner) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues) at DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Data.SqlDataProvider.UpdateDataLoad(DataLoad objDataLoad)
Aug 2, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM

No change in the update behavior since I followed the steps you suggested, or since mid April.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:00 AM

That sucks. I'm happy to poke about and take a look if you want to give me a login capable of working with the services.

Drop me an e-mail and we can see what we can see.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Guys - I definitely advise you to download and install 1.8.4. There could definitely be some issues with data downloads - sorry about that!

Thanks,
Cliff

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:16 AM

I did, and it's working now. Tks.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Greetings, I just found this module and will be spinning it up this weekend for my guild - from what I see so far, it looks Great.

I will let you know if anything goes wrong. -keeps fingers crossed- and/or I will post back that everything is wonderfull.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

It will be instructive to have a new install out there.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM

so far so good:

Initial install on DNN 5.1.2, Guild Roster v1.8.4

Character listing worked, but no Talent tree info, nor any of the Profession info seems to be porting-  I then found that 1.8.5 was released that fixed some "server 500" errors, and now am uploading that to see if the issues are fixed...

----

on a side note, what skins/containers are people useing?  - any 'good' ones available?

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM

To your skin question - I'm using a completely custom one (http://www.resguild.com) - and I had created a series of custom containers for a black/dark skin (http://www.wowuimods.com).

If you want, I'm happy to share the prior version of my custom skin (I put a loooooot of time in the skin and containers, so I have a very selfish interest in keeping the latest version to myself) or the containers I created for the Obsidian skin. :)

I'm planning on redoing the skin to take advantage of some new DNN5 aspects and to simplify the skin (I've been staring at the same iron square grid with black background for almost 5 years now...I want to create a more streamlined/CSS-compliant skin) - if anyone has skinning skills, I'm also happy to collaborate on iterating on a new version and share/open up the skin for public consumption.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Hi,

I’m trying to put a new site together for my guild and i wanted to try this add-on out but I’m not able to get it to work on my site. I know the guild name and server name is correct im running the latest V of DNN any help would be great J Below is the error I keep getting.

ERROR WGR-004: No character data available for display for selected rosters.

To correct this, verify that you have properly spelled your guild name and server, and verify that the WGR roster downloading service is properly configured in the DNN Scheduler. This error can come up if you've either not configured and/or enabled the scheduler service (not installed as part of module install) or if the scheduler service has not yet run for the first time.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Hey - sorry about the delay; I stop back over here weekly when there isn't much activity. :)

Did this clear up? Did it start working?

If you entered in the correct data; did you also add the scheduler service to pull the data from the Armory? (per the 'Add the Scheduled Service' section of the installation notes)?

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Thanks got it to work.