Unable to connect to the remote server

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Hello,
I recently installed DNW Guild Roster. The installation went perfectly and the scheduler setup was fine and successful but after adding a guild to the roster to query I am receiving the following error.

Type: System.Net.WebException
Error Info: DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Business.LoadArmoryRoster.Execute(1) - Exception while calling Kralize
Message: Unable to connect to the remote server - at System.Net.WebClient.OpenRead(Uri address) at System.Net.WebClient.OpenRead(String address) at Kralizek.WoWArmoryParser.ArmoryParser.GetStream(String Path, String Realm, String Name) at Kralizek.WoWArmoryParser.ArmoryParser.GetGuild(String Realm, String Name, RegionEnum Region) at DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Business.LoadArmoryRoster.Execute()

I have verified that the guild name entered and realm name are spelled correctly. Any help with this issue would be most appreciated.

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Odd - I would almost think (a) you ran into a random refusal by the Armory server, or (b) your web server's having DNS issues with resolving the name.

The reason I say this is the error originating at System.Net.WebClient.OpenRead(Uri address) - which looks to me to be a .NET base class call dealing with the server url. Can you check your server name again and make sure you're not passing any bad/special characters?

Also - I sent you a PM inquiring about potential access to your setup to look about.
Mar 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM
Thanks for the response.
I just responded to your PM and like you mentioned, I also suspect it's my host.
Mar 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM
After a bit of investigation, I've found that it's definitely a problem with my host (GoDaddy) blocking external connections. From what I've read they have a proxy server setup (http://jeff-dev.blogspot.com/2007/02/godaddy-support.html) to allow .Net to utilize external connections. I'm not sure where to go from here as the blogspot post I linked indicated that they will claim it's a problem with the code (clearly not the case) before doing anything.
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Any thoughts on using a different hosting provider?

(I'm using ServerIntellect, and still quite happy with the service (I've used a few hosting providers, and I've stuck with these guys for about 4 years now) - and, btw, if you're looking for a new host, feel free to use my affiliate ID to help me out with continuing to enhance this codebase - http://web.serverintellect.com/13899/13992/)
Mar 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM
Unfortunately I'm stuck with them for the next 2 years.

Thanks for the help though.

-Eric
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM
If you can help me with how to get the code to handle their proxy, I'm more than happy to put in an implementation to help you out.

On the two year aspect, have you gone past your eval/30-day initial period?
Mar 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM
I was able to get out of my service with GoDaddy and signed up for a month-to-month with server intellect (hope you get the credit for it) so I'm going to see how that goes. Hopefully i'll be able to get this up and running ASAP.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Awesome; let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.

BTW - when I had logged into your site, I noticed the 'notification' of how to set up the guild roster. This was new to the last WGR update (before that, it was a blank page ^_^ ) - did you find it helpful/useful?
Mar 11, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Looks like I've got everything working now. Thanks again for the help!

The notification was very helpful.

If I wanted to contribute code to the project, how would I go about doing that? I'm not any good with C# but I have a lot of background in HTML, CSS, and enough VB experience to be dangerous.