Character History?

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:23 PM
It would be nice to see something like a character history feature when viewing a character.

I know WoWExpedition.com has XML services available to access guild and level history (Although it's in beta and most realms still need to be scanned).

http://www.wowexpedition.com/
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Would you see this as being a monthly snapshot (say, done at the 1st of each month)? Or something that an admin could say 'snapshot this'?

And how would you see this being reported out, being visible? I could see this for all-up guild history (level ranges, number of members, etc), but what about for individual characters?
Apr 24, 2009 at 8:33 PM
The data is normally updated daily, depending on the server and how often people upload census data. Weekly to monthly snapshots would make sense.

The data is more tailored for each character, being able to see what guilds and what level they were at a certain date. Each character would need to be queried from the guild since it doesn't support guild data exporting (At least not yet). The other issue is that the site doesn't have every character like the Armory, it's limited to the number of characters actually seen by other people taking a census. So there is a high chance that the site will return no results.
Apr 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Warcraftrealms.com has a feature like this, although their data looks like it's derived from a census mod that subscribers run on their machines rather than the Armory. The must have a pretty good subscriber base (at least on my Realm, US Runetotem) because the data seems to be quite accurate. To get to that feature click the "Realm Data" tab then "Char History" to get to http://www.warcraftrealms.com/charhistory.php. They do offer free .csv data export in return for a simple attribution link, although I haven't downloaded one to see how useful it might be for this purpose.
Apr 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM
WoWExpedition.com uses the same addon, the key difference is that WarcraftRealms doesn't allow character export. They offer a few generic/non-identifying exports, but not what this feature would require.