No Successful Data Updates Since April 15th

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM
Although the module looks like it's working fine, I just noticed that some of the char data is stale. When I checked the log, I found that every Armory query since the 15th has thrown an error.  The error is:

Type:             System.NullReferenceException
Error Info:      DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Business.LoadArmoryRoster.Execute(1) - Exception while calling Kralize
Message:       Object reference not set to an instance of an object. - at Kralizek.WoWArmoryParser.ArmoryParser.GetClassEnumFromString(String Cls) at Kralizek.WoWArmoryParser.ArmoryParser.GetGuild(String Realm, String Name, RegionEnum Region) at DotNetWarcraft.WoWGuildRoster.Business.LoadArmoryRoster.Execute(

The last successful log entry was:

5472     Type: Roster
Roster #: 1     Status: Loaded Successfully
Source: WoW Armory
Started: 4/15/2009 4:13:11 AM
Ended: 4/15/2009 4:16:32 AM     0     0     0     0

I am running v 1.6.4; Build 90215, but I didn't update to it until yesterday which is when I noticed the problem (and nothing changed after the update), so this issue is unrelated to the new rev.

Any ideas? This is about a mile over my head.

Argonne

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM
Hmmmm...I didn't notice the error until you called it out, but I'm seeing the same thing on my website as well.

I am out of town this week visiting family, but I will fix this when I get back next week. My guess is that this is related to the 3.1 patch. I know they made changes to the XML file on the Armory...my guess is the parser needs a rev. I'll address this when I add in parsing for the dual specs - I'll have a fix up by May 3rd.

Any other requests for tweaks while I'm in the code?
Apr 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM
csimpkins wrote "Any other requests for tweaks while I'm in the code?"

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is fully populating the "Related Characters" section on all toons, not just the main. This would save the user a couple of page loads in some cases. Probably more that a "tweak" though.

May 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Just noticed another minor problem.  On the Profession Sort screen, the "Leatherworker" column header has an icon but no text.
May 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM
God bless Blizzard...

Just a heads up on this, the problem most likely lies in the format change to the XML that Bliz snuck in along with the 3.1 content release.

The problem is that the attributes "race" and "class" were renamed to "raceId" and "classId" and the XML no longer holds the readable version of the values. You'll have to map the ID's to the real values manually.

I'm not entirely sure why they did this, but I suspect it's to lower their transfer overhead.

We had to fix this over in the DKP for DotNetNuke project just a few days ago. Real sneaky Bliz... real sneaky.
Coordinator
May 4, 2009 at 4:19 AM
Okay - I got this fixed.

The issues in this thread (the error loading the file and the missing label) were easy to fix. What took me a while was putting in the code to cope with dual specs. :)

There were a couple issues with the file loading, the first was as Salaza points out - they went from passing strings to numbers - which caused much confusion on the parser's end. The other issue is that there are now two talentSpec nodes, which meant that the second node always 'won'. I changed the code to now store both talent specs, and it will only show the 'active' one for now.

I incremented the build number to 1.7.1 because there was several database changes (to the table storing the character data, as well as the stored procedures). I expect to iterate on the build in the next couple weeks to begin displaying both specs and to allow folks to specify a 'primary' spec - to make raiding easier -- having a place where folks can 'declare' a primary spec.
Coordinator
May 4, 2009 at 4:37 AM
If you folks don't mind, please verify that it works for you and I will update the Snowcovered entry to use the 1.7.1 release.
May 4, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Working good on our site, thanks!
Coordinator
May 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Edited May 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Awesomeness; thanks for the status!

BTW - where did you get that server status module?...that's pretty cool.
May 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM
I can't access any evil gaming related sites from here at work, but I'm pretty sure the Realm Status dodad comes from http://www.wowrealmstatus.net/.
It's actually their code in a stock text/html module.
Coordinator
May 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Ah - cool. I will check it out.

Do you think there would be interest in a DNN module that would do the same thing? Or is putting stock HTML in easy enough?
May 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM
I did it in 5 minutes, so it must be easy ;) 

But while we're on the subject of new modules, what about an adjunct module to DNW Guild Roster that you could place in the left or right content pane that would display an alphabetically sorted dropdown list of all toon names in the guild.  Would supply a fast way to call up a toon's property sheet without knowing their class, level, profession, or anything else.  Also still campaigning for the "Related Characters" list to show all related toons when viewing any of their sheets, not just the main.

And thanks again for writing this module!
Coordinator
May 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM
1: Alphabetical sort - gotcha; I'll add that into the next release, that's easy
2: Ah-ha! I see...I kept thinking you meant related characters in the pop-over pane. Sure - I can do that. I'll also get that into the next release...that one is pretty easy too.

And as an FYI on the next release, I've got to go work TechEd next week - so it may not be until around May 17th.
May 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM
I think I have discovered another glitch.  To help explain, here is the property sheet from one of my toons.

Note that her professions are listed as lvl 1 Alchemy, and 450 Engineering. If you now go to her Armory listing, you will see that her actual professions are 450 Engineering and 450 Mining.

The circumstances are that in the last week I dumped alchemy and picked up mining and leveled it to 450.  I then leveled her Engineering from 310 to 450. The engineering level has been correctly picked up from the armory, but the identification and level of the second profession, mining, has not.

I'm guessing that this might have to do with the fact that the profession sort does not include gathering professions (which is fine) and you didn't bother farming the stats on them, but if so, it could end up displaying inaccurate info on the char sheet, as in this case.

On the other hand, maybe this is something else the patch broke.  Just thought I would point it out.